Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

One Word: 2013

I do things better in hindsight.

Terrible third degree burns on my wrist?  Watch a little more carefully when I'm trying to pull a pan out of the oven.

Miss putting my car in the ditch by a millimeter?  Worry a little less about the june bug crawling up my pant leg.  (Except that would never happen.  I would almost wreck my car every single time to keep that monster from reaching my knee.)

You get the picture.

And that picture is exactly the reason I have difficulty determining my word for the year in advance.  I'm just better at analyzing and assessing.  We'll call it a gift.  And, frankly, my skills of analysis indicate my word for last year was Obedience. 

Now, though?  I'm not just entering a new playing field; I'm playing an entirely different sport.  Some of the skills I've learned are probably going to apply, but there's an entirely different set of rules and guidelines.

And I guess that's why God started emphasizing a word I would've never claimed as my own:  Peace.

It's a word that connotes contentment, doesn't it?  Laying down the fight and resting in the moment?

Since God is obviously more far-sighted than I am, I'm going to trust His judgment.  After feeling like the struggle was the majority of my existence for the last several years, I'm not disappointed for a bit of peace. 

Like anything else, though, I'm sure claiming peace in other areas will have to be purposeful.  (Claiming peace with my weight or with mothering may be interesting ventures.  But if I've said it once, I've said it a million times:  Most of my fails are epic in nature.  You might want to stick around to read about the spectacular disaster my year of peace may be.  Ha!)

Do you have a word for 2013?  How did you claim your word?  I love hearing these stories.

2 comments:

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

I love your word. Love it. But you're right - I'll be interested to see how you apply it after three weeks of limited sleep due to a nocturnal infant. :)

Anonymous said...

I've read about this "word" thing a few times now, and I have to say that I want a word for myself, but...

2 words have popped up. And both of them frighten me.

That's my biggest battle: Fear. So maybe instead of those 2 words, my word should be Fearless.

Challenging to say the least. :)

I think your word is perfect. If you let God grant you that Peace this year with Ryan in your life, it will set an excellent foundation for your future as a mother.

Peace be with you!