Pages

Monday, November 5, 2012

Little Navajo--19 Weeks

I straightened my hair.  LilBro said he really liked it, but I think
I prefer my hair to be big.  It balances my hips a little better :)
How Far Along: 19 Weeks

Size: Little Navajo is the size of a large heirloom tomato.  (Which really doesn't seem much bigger than last week?)  In actual dimensions, Little Navajo is 8.5 oz. and measures about 6 inches.

Gender: My official appointment is Nov. 13th. I'm anxious to start calling Navajo by the appropriate pronoun, but I won't get that opportunity until Nov. 24th because Favorite and I intend to be surprised with the rest of our guests at our gender reveal party.

I'm doing a bit of finalization for that party this week since Favorite is home, and making a sad, sad attempt to cut the guest list as much as possible.  Thirty people in my basement seems like overkill.

Movement: Honestly?  It feels like she runs a paint roller across my stomach and then punches me.  I wish there were some way to know what's going through the mind of a baby in the womb because I have no idea what sort of movement warrants that type of feeling.  And she's certainly getting more insistent.  I don't think it will be much longer before Daddy gets his wish and feels her.

She always moves during PastorJosh's sermons.  And lately, when we're at small group?  She's been moving when 'Maine sings and stopping when he stops.  So weird.

Sleep: The introduction of a body pillow is helping on this front.  I had been using a regular pillow as a substitute, but there is no comparison.  If you are pregnant, or are planning to get pregnant, BUY A BODY PILLOW.  MAKE IT YOUR FIRST PURCHASE.  I don't know why I waited so long.

Maternity Clothes: Where necessary :)  I actually got a pair of pants and a skirt from Old Navy this week.  That'll be an awesome help to my work wardrobe since I've been sneaking jeans once a week other than Friday.

(And somehow I lost three lbs this week so some of those pants fit in the belly and have problems on the back end.)

Oddly enough, I feel a little more willing to try styles I would've never attempted before pregnancy--like belting my midsection, for example.

Symptoms: Migraines are a regular occurrence--once or twice a week. Recently, they've started to make me sick to my stomach. But there are definitely worse things. (Morning sickness, anyone?)

Heartburn.  All. The. Time.  Usually accompanied by hiccups.

I'm thirsty all.the.time, and if my bathroom visits are any indication, my body is actually doubling the amount of liquid I ingest in a day. (And that number is significant. I drink a minimum of 96 oz. of water besides milk or the occasional glass of iced tea.)

Aversions: Chicken is still a problem.  I try to eat it occasionally, but I generally end up picking it out of whatever dish it's in.  I do better with things like bacon and sausage; however, since heartburn is a consideration, I try to limit those foods in my diet.

Cravings: Milk! I'm on my second gallon in less than a week, but I suppose I could be craving unhealthier things.

And ice cold water. In large quantities.

What I miss: I'm so grateful to be pregnant. I can't think of one thing I should be missing.

Feeling toward pregnancy: One of the things people have asked me (and Favorite and I have discussed amongst ourselves) is this:  Do you think you'll appreciate this more because you've waited so long for it?

Like most of my answers, I heartily believe yes and no both fit here.

Do Favorite and I appreciate the gift of children more than another couple who didn't wait as long as we did?  Absolutely not.  I've seen too many people who are wonderful parents and so overwhelmed and grateful to have that opportunity.

Not only that, but we know couples who have pursued treatments like IVF after a devastating diagnosis and found themselves expecting within six months of beginning treatment.  Am I more grateful than they are?  Hardly.  I think the honest truth is that gratefulness doesn't come by degrees, and any time we declare it does, we silently encourage the sense of entitlement that declares we are special because of the circumstances that brought us to this point.

On the other side, I certainly think  my 32 year old self is more thankful for this blessing than my 25 year old self would have been.  This is the only type of comparison I can make--me to myself.  And Favorite and I definitely believe we'll be better parents now than we would've been seven years ago because we've grown through different circumstances.

Best Moment this week: More insistent movement on her part.  It really is one of the coolest things I've ever experienced.

What I'm looking forward to: Thanksgiving :)  BigBro and SILSheena will be here for the first time since we found out about Little Navajo so I'm pumped to see them.  They'll also get to be here for the gender reveal.

I got my first baby gift from AuntDiane and I'm pretty excited to open it :)

Favorite getting to feel her kick.  I know he's anxious to be a part of this experience, and he gets jealous that I feel her so consistently.

4 comments:

Sheena said...

I have so many things to say this week. First of all, I'm seriously excited about seeing you and your baby belly!

The movement during worship makes me smile. She likes music. YAY! Maybe she'll be super lyric remember-er like her Daddy.

Body pillow...you've confirmed my suspicions. So, which is better body pillow or maternity pants? I want them both! ;-)

I think it's hilarious that you're losing weight and that you're craving milk.

I'm just so stinkin' happy!

Established: 2008 said...

Love this update!

Unknown said...

Little Navajo is growing so fast! Before you know it he/she will be here!!!!!! Thank you for your weekly updates it's so exciting to see your progress!!!

I hope you can take part in the Christmas card exchange taking place over on my blog :).

Kristin said...

I really like your feeling toward pregnancy this week and I concur. :) Also, I can't believe you're waiting over a week after you could know to find out! I'm impressed. Now, this is coming from someone who wanted to wait until the baby was born, but man, once we had the envelope in our hands, it was really hard not to look. Can't wait to find out!!! :)