Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

I Wear My Sunglasses At Night

Laundry is beckoning me.  The dishwasher is screaming my name.  And all I can think is that I'm going to need my sunglasses today.

What is it about sunglasses that make me feel 75% cooler than I did before I put them on?  Puh-leeze don't tell me I'm on my own here.  You do it, too, right? 

As you slide in the car and situate yourself in the driver's seat, you take a few minutes to slide the cool factor on your face and realize that every outfit, hairstyle and lip gloss looks just a little bit better with an awesome pair of sunglasses.

That confession may make me a nut job (like that's something new, here?!), but I've felt this weird surge of hopefulness lately.  I'm not sure what to do with it or how to account for it, but something inside me is craving a pair of sunglasses, because it 'pears things are about to get bright up in here.

I have no news.  No revelations.  Just a beautiful day and the promise of more ahead.  And I feel like even though I know exactly where I am, there's been an inexplicable change of disposition.

Yesterday, I decided I hated the way I was teaching a certain unit and decided to rewrite the whole thing even though I've already started it.  It might be an ambitious undertaking, but I'm looking forward to it.  Weird?

This week my defensive personality took a back seat to laughter.  For the first time in forever, I didn't feel the need to confront someone who continues to pursue others to "clarify" situations we haven't discussed outside of our family unit.  More and more, I feel like God reminds me that innocence and track records speak for themselves.  That, and I think He's showing me that defensiveness never forged relationships that drew others closer to Christ.  (I also keep hearing Chris' voice in my head:  "If you know you're right, you can rest in that instead of trying to convince everyone else.")

In the last few days, it seems God is taking me to a new part of my life verse (which has become a life chapter now).  "See, I am doing a new thing!" He calls.  And He is.  For me.  For others I know.  For anyone willing to move away from the call of what "has to be" for the sake of what can be.

So today, I'm sliding on my sunglasses.  I don't want all this brightness to blind me.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

I'm gonna get me a new pair of sunglasses too!

Jennifer said...

Totally feel you on the sunglasses--I just bought a new pair and I swear they make me feel 50x cooler. Love the positive attitude! God has big plans :)

Sheena said...

I need some shades up in here! ;-)