Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

Revelations at the Stove

I did something I swore I wasn't going to do this year.  I joined Weight Watchers.  Again.  I think I was prompted by this dedication to eating better--and I don't mean that as a health-conscious thing.  I mean eating better--better food, a more enjoyable process, things that taste good.

In the last three weeks or so, I've realized there is a long list of foods that I don't really like, but eat anyway.  Anything from McDonald's, for example.  Or steamed broccoli.  (LOVE it roasted.  But steamed vegetables are usually a little soggy and kinda gross.)  Or pizza rolls.  Or grilled chicken.  ::shivers::  I'm not sure why I spent so much time eating those things, but I know thinking about it disgusts me--mostly because of the sheer quantities I've put in my body.

(Disclaimer:  I am not a photographer.  I am especially not a food photographer.  I don't much care to be a photographer, either.  I put pictures up for my pleasure and as proof that something did actually take place in my kitchen.)



This is Sweet and Spicy Stuffed Chicken with Potato/Turnip/Cauliflower Mash and Roasted Broccoli.  According to to the meal plan, I was supposed to eat the chicken with orange glazed sugar snap peas and carrots, but I got a real craving for broccoli tonight.  So I changed the plan.

And you know what?  It was fantastic.  The whole meal was 19 points of amazing.  And I refuse to be upset that the meal cost that many points.  Instead, I've learned that this particular meal should only be paired with zero points vegetables instead of another recipe that adds points to the mix.  (The potato and butter in the mash actually up the point value quite a bit.  In the future, I'll add more cauliflower and turnip so it serves more with fewer added points.)

But I feel a sense of accomplishment here.  Not because I've spent one day on a program, but because I'm taking back something I love and learning to own it in a way that keeps me from constantly looking over my shoulder. 

The idea of "taking back" has had me thinking about the schedule that ticks in my head.  You know--the one that tells me I'm behind on so many things.  As long as we get there, does it really matter how long the journey takes?

I know.  Rocket science.  It's the reason you come here, isn't it?

I'll try to slow down on my revelations so everyone can keep up :)

1 comment:

Sheena said...

Looks delish! Good job!