Pages

Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Couple of Unpaid Reviews: Shark Steam Mop and Orange Glow 4 in 1

As you well know, Favorite and I recently built a house.  I'm very careful how how I take reviews because some of them can be helpful and some of them are just not indicative of the type of experience you, as a consumer, will have.  Take for example the reviews on the hardwood flooring we used:  two people reviewed the product and hated it while one person thought it was great.  Personally, I think we've had a good experience with it.  Was it a perfect experience?  No.  But the overall experience has been good.

That said, you may learn something from my reviews or you may believe I'm out of my mind. 

Shark Steam Mop
Let me start by saying that I think the Shark is awesome.  It does exactly what it says it does.  It takes up mud and cleans junk off the floor (including any nasty cleaner build-up) but does seem to just push dirt around if you didn't get it up previously.

Here's the problem.  The Shark Steam Mop is only approved for use on sealed hardwood floors.  I have sealed hardwood floors.  The problem is that the cracks and seams are not sealed so you have to be careful with the use.  I read some reviews that indicated that the Steam Mop could actually warp your floors with continued use and I do not take that lightly.  I also read that it could remove the finish from your floor.

I have not had that experience, but I also don't use it every day.  I have noticed that it doesn't shine my floors and seems to leave a streaky finish.  Due to the possibility of warping, I'm going to discontinue use with the exception of once a month or so (like I said, takes build-up off like nobody's business).

Orange Glow 4 in 1
Steer clear.  Seriously, not a good product.  The first time I used it, I thought that it made my floors shiny and gorgeous.  Then I had I walk across them to go to the bathroom.  I'm not really sure where it came from, but there was an awful grit from the product.  The second time around caused the same problem.

I read several reviews that indicated people have severely damaged their hardwood floors with this product.  That fact alone is worth keeping in mind; however, it did not damage mine.  Like I said, the Shark takes off residue like a beast so that's probably where I was saved.

I can tell you that I will NEVER use this product again.  I do not want to run the risk of ruining my floors and who wants to feel weird grit when they walk across their floors?

Tonight, I'm going to try Pledge Hardwood Floor Cleaner.  It has received some really good reviews and my flooring indicates that anything that is safe for sealed floors is good.  I'll let you know about my experience.  If it's bad, I'll probably break down and spend the money for Bona--although the reviews for it are really about the same as they are for the Pledge product.

In the end, I think you have to find a product that works for you and gives your flooring the look you want.  Happy cleaning :)

UPDATE:  Pledge Hardwood isn't good, either.  Both products seemed to leave a residue that makes my floors look really bad after a while.  After talking toa  professional, and cleaning these floors for a while, I recommend Windex:

Source
Good, old fashioned Windex is actually pretty impressive if used with a microfiber cloth.  If you aren't a fan, then try straight or diluted vinegar.  Those are the only things I use on my floor now.

No comments: