Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

Aspirations and Books

Sometimes I wonder how the Pioneer woman does it.  She blogs, writes cook books, takes pictures and manages to run a ranch AND homeschool.  I managed to get out of bed and get ready this morning only to get to school and somewhat get material across. 

When I got home, I fix a couple of hotdogs and called myself good.  I'm sure her homemade chili would've tasted better, but I'm good with the hotdogs (and they were quick).  But that doesn't stop me from being jealous of all the things she seemingly does with ease.  Simply put, I want to be the Pioneer Woman.

_______________
Since I seemed to put it by the wayside last year, I thought I'd try to randomly update what I'm currently reading throughout the year.  While I'm still awaiting the delivery of a couple of these books, I thought I'd go ahead and give you a quick glance at what's on my shelf.

Currently reading:


Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

I decided to read this book at the suggestion of another blogger I really appreciate.  So far, I haven't been disappointed.  At first I was a little confused.  Then I was astounded and now I'm mesmerized.  It's one of those books that makes you ask the question, "What's the point of this?" only to turn around and say "I have to know what happens to these people."

The last book of his I read was The Unconsoled.  Frankly, I don't remember really liking it (but, in all fairness, I don't remember much about it).  After this experience, though, I'm going to check out The Remains of the Day.





A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

I am awaiting its arrival from Barnesandnoble.com and I'm really disappointed that the delivery has been delayed.  It was another suggestion from the same blogger listed above.











A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

This is one of those books that I've heard about for years but never did managed to pick up.  I'm rectifying that situation as soon as Barnesandnoble.com manages to get their deliveries together.

Of course, I'm also willing to be excited about a book that Anna Quindlen pitches because I happen to think she's a fantastic author.


I'll attempt to update my feelings about each of these books in turn.  I've decided to put up a "What I'm Currently Reading" section on my bulletin board in my classroom (and I'm getting rid of my Word of the Week thing).  I'm hoping that if the students know I'm actively reading, they'll be more willing to discuss books with me and even read more.



No comments: