Pages

Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Provider

Most of the kids I see on a regular basis are working their way through what it means to be a boyfriend or a girlfriend.  They date, fight, break up, cry, etc.  Sometimes those events don't stay outside the classroom.  That's generally when I have to step in, but it's not a job I relish.

I don't spend a lot of time getting involved in their affairs because, in the end, I can't make their decisions.  Sometimes, though, I want to share parts of my relationship.  While my marriage is far from perfect, I want to tell them how great it is to have a husband who provides--who sees it as his job to provide for his family.  I want to tell them how wonderful it is to have a man who loves me and is willing to work his hindquarters off just to do something that makes me happy.

I want to tell them what it means to function as a team as opposed to two individuals with individual goals.  I want to tell them how great it feels to know that you're functioning as a team.

I'm so thankful to have a man who got up at 5 am in order to work a double shift.  He won't get home until 11:30 pm, but he won't complain once about his sacrifice.  He'll tell me that he does it for a specific reason, and then he'll get up early the next morning in order to go back to work on the house--not because he's punching a time clock.  Not because someone will be waiting on him.  Not even because he's going to be making a little money.  He does it because he knows that it's his responsibility to provide.

I love him.  Could you tell?

No comments: