Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Someone pressed pause, but it wasn't me.

Those of you who have been waiting on a house update won't have to wait much longer.  We've been sitting at a standstill since the dirt-work-guy finished the big hole because the rain makes it next to impossible to pour footings and subsequently the actual "big hole" walls.

Yet again, I am reminded that at this point in the process it goes very quickly.  Yet again, I maintain that we shall see.  I'm going to try to get some pictures today of the massive amount of material that has been dropped off at my house starting at 9 this morning (which led to my dog barking like a mad person and me sincerely contemplating a bark collar).  Want a picture of my little offender?

He looks sweet and innocent, doesn't he?  When I take him on walks, people always want to pet him because he's so furry and darling, but there's a beast inside that furry outside, folks.  And there's a reason we call him Barky.  If anything unusual comes into the yard (or if people are simply headed down to the tomato patch) he barks until you could see how a beating might be the best choice for all invovled.
Despite that, I love him.  He was my wedding gift from Chris, born on my birthday and my personal pick.


I meant to blog about my weekend activities--not that they were interesting, but this blog is called "A Life in Ordinary" so you were adequately warned before reading.

For Mother's Day, my brothers and I got my mom a gift certificate so she could buy a new Vera Bradley.  She's a big fan of the bags (so am I, but I'm holding out for the $800 Coach purse), and has been staring at this one for quite some time.  For all of the admirers out there, it's the bowler style, holds all sorts of stuff in an organized fashion, and the pattern is called Purple passion.  It took her a while to decide that this was definitely what she wanted, but she was pleased with her purchase.

That evening, we headed back to mom and dad's for dinner and swimming.  Everyone is really trying to be supportive regarding my new set of dietary requirements, but I'll admit that some days it's all I can do to avoid eating ice cream.  What sort of diet would keep me from eating ice cream every now and then, you ask?  Well, it's a little long and complicated, but I'll try to break it down simply.

A few months ago, I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS).  This particular syndrome accounts for a variety of symptoms I've been dealing with for the past 6 or 7 years, but the diagnosis doesn't end the frustration.  Women with PCOS have a lot of difficulty losing weight, and even if they are eating the same diet and exercising the same amount as a regular, lean woman, they will likely gain weight.  So you can see the frustrating part of this equation.  There is no medicine to fix the problem.  The only "fix" is a carefully monitored diet, and that won't even cure the disease.  It simply causes many of its tell-tale signs to retreat.

I've been reading a lot about PCOS and how to control it with diet, but the plan is absolutely rigorous.  No dairy.  No carbs.  Only meat, veggies, fruit, nuts and eggs.  It's the hardest thing I've ever done, but when you have people who are willing to go the extra mile to make it easier, it's not so bad.  So on Saturday night, my mom fixed fare that I could eat without kicking the diet to the curb (because, let's face it, it's not really a diet.  I'll have to do this for the rest of my life...yay, me.).


There were mixed veggies with a great seasoning.


Filet mignon and ribeye (which are on the outer skirts of this diet, but worked for me).


And of course, fresh/frozen fruit with no added sugar.

Anyway, like I said, it was nice to have the added help.  And afterward, we spent time in my parent's awesome pool.  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to swim.  My love might even override my hatred of swimming apparel.  Here's the oasis:


I had hoped I would have time to blog about a few more things that night (or a couple nights before), but I have to get ready for my first Zumba class in a year.  I'm meeting my friend, Morgan, and we are PUMPED.

I'll let you know how it goes.  I'm seeing ambulances and muscule relaxers in my future.

--Crystal

1 comment:

Julie said...

Thanks for sharing what's been going on for you. I'm sorry to hear about the PCOS but glad you seem to have a great attitude about it and are tackling it head-on!

Julie