Pages

Thursday, May 27, 2010

A dichotomy of tears

It's been a horribly surreal two weeks. I've mostly felt like I was dreaming, or haven't felt much like doing anything, saying anything, being anything. It comes with the territory, I guess.

Today was the last day of school. As a teacher, I only had to go for an hour while report cards were distributed, pick up my paycheck and go home. In the last 15 minutes, I received a very unexpected phone call froma parent who will never know how much her words are appreciated.

She praised me over and over again for the things I had done in my classroom over the last few months. She asked questions about what she could do over the summer to help her child, and then, she asked if I was in danger of losing my job and what she could do besides call her legislator.

For the last two weeks I've cried because I'm so overwhelmingly sad. Today, I cried because I was overcome with thankfulness. She can't possibly know what her call meant to me.

But I sure do.

No comments: