Pages

Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Current List

It's my goal to try and keep up with the things I read this year. I thought I'd give a run down of what I'm currently reading and the things that are next on the list.

Currently, I'm reading Teacher Man by Frank McCourt. I read the other two memoirs and am really enjoying this one. I can totally relate to a lot of the stuff he says--like constantly thinking like a teenager. I guess it comes with the territory.

Next up is Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger. This is the same woman who wrote The Time Traveler's Wife. Ronnie isn't real optimistic about her sophomore book, but I'm willing to give it a chance. If it's half as good as her first literary accomplishment, she's got a hit on her hands.

After that, I have a book called Awareness: The Perils and Opportunities of Reality by Anthony DeMello. This was one of a few books suggested by a good friend of mine (Alvin) who thus far has had pretty decent taste in literature. Nonfiction can get tedious if it's not well written, but I have faith in this book (and Alvin's suggestion) so I guess we'll see.

The great thing about snow days is that they afford me lots of opportunities to read--which I love. Although, I have to be careful because sometimes I get a little too involved in a book and forget that I have a real life with real people who expect me to do real things. It's a personal fault, I suppose. I've really started spending a lot of time by myself, and I appreciate reading about the situations of others without ever having to experience some of the garbage they experience :) Vicarious living can be fulfilling. But I guess, in the end, reading is not real living and I occasionally have to put down my book in the name of washing dishes, doing laundry or going to work...the latter being of the upmost importance.

Feel free to leave book suggestions. I'll add it to my list if it sounds interesting.

No comments: